Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Casablanca, Morocco and the Everlasting Code Red



Casablanca was one of the places I was most jazzed about going to.  I mean who doesn’t want to visit Africa!? Granted, I might have had a romantic vision of the place from the glorified movie version with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman but, to be honest, I really don’t have to come back here again.  It was fine if you are ok with extremely dirty streets, heckling locals that never cease, and the ability to not eat or drink anything there.  I have to say there were some colorful and beautiful spots of the city that I managed to get some pictures of before the torrential rain.  We did visit the olive market which was a beautiful sight and could have come out of the movie Aladdin but it was all look-and-no-touch because of the different types of bacteria found in the water. Sadly, I was unaware of this and had a small coffee, and not wanting to share too much, let’s just say I was not ok for the next 48 hrs.  Thankfully that was all that I had!!  We also went to a few shops but otherwise the best part of the day was the beginning in the older part of the city (where all my pictures are from) where it seemed the culture and life of the city where still rooted in older times.
 
On that note, I found out that we are actually going to Tangier, Africa on a chartered cruise in July.  It is still in Morocco but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a better place all around, and now I know not to drink the water.:) 

As far as the code red goes, I am currently listening to “Hand Washing for Life” on the crew channel which can only be described as a melange of clips of people washing their hands and it has been playing for the past couple days.  Ok I get it, we are still in code red and I am doing my third super-sensitization tonight in the library.  My hands are peeling from doing this but, on the bright side, I have not gotten the Norovirus even though others of the entertainment department haven’t been so lucky.  In fact, tonight I am going to be filling in for one of the Jazz singers in the ocean bar that went into quarantine yesterday.  I am very excited and also scared to no end because this will be WITHOUT a rehearsal!!  WOO HOO!  I am sure the adrenaline will be running but I bet you after tonight I will be hooked.  

On another note, all of us cast members are putting together a cabaret for dark nights or if something happened and the guest entertainers couldn’t make it on the ship.  We perform the first show on Friday the 5th when we are in Rotterdam, Holland (our next port) and I am scared with this as well.:)  I guess I am all sorts of terrified lately!  I decided to pick the hardest song I could think of because this is such a safe venue to try new stuff and I chose Glitter and Be Gay!!!  WHAT WAS I THINKING!?  For anyone who doesn’t know this song here is a great clip of what it should sound like.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVsLMxam21I  Here’s to broadening my horizons but please wish me luck because I am going to need it.

window in old town Morocco

old town Morocco and only right behind us did we have people following us to sell us stuff

old town Morocco

old town Morocco

old town Morocco, the Olive Market

old town Morocco, the Olive Market

old town Morocco, the Olive Market

old town Morocco, next to the the Olive Market

Morocco, one of the many beautiful souvenirs for sale
Anyway, We are finally doing another show on this 22 day cruise, ENCORE!, tomorrow and I couldn’t be more excited to do it. I will try to post more production pictures asap.

No comments: