Sunday, May 20, 2012

Norway: The Enchanted Land of Trolls and Fjords

Norway is the land of trolls, moss, and very expensive things and I have to tell you its beauty far surpasses what I expected.  It kind of reminds me of the wild beauty of Alaska and makes me yearn to go back and hike through the peaty soil and see all those friends again.  Miss you all you crazy Alaska peeps!! 

So far, we have been to many places in Norway and will be here for another few weeks.  It is also starting to stay light out until a little after midnight because we are getting so far north.  Land of the midnight sun!!! :)  It is kind of nuts to come out of your room where there is NO sunlight all day and walk outside at midnight and it look like daytime.  

As I have said, there has been no eating out for me in Norway.  Everything, especially food, is crazy expensive.  If you go to McDonalds you can expect to drop $16 (95 kroners) on just the cheeseburger.  We all went out to a bar the other night and I got ONE beer and that alone cost me the equivalent of $20!!!  Needless to say it has been difficult to justify a $15 coffee to sit in a coffee shop to monopolize the internet.  In the same way, I apologize for not updating this for some time and I promise it will get better after we get out of expensive Norway.  The wonderful and strikingly mountainous fjords make it difficult for the ship to get reception but it does make you feel as if I you are lost in the land before time. :)

 My favorite place so far was Geiranger and it is because me and three others went up and around the mountains on bicycles and got to take it the beauty around us.  The air was also so fresh and I couldn’t stop myself from just taking the deepest breaths possible without passing out.   After the last month of chemicals being sprayed around the sjip I felt like I struck the fountain of youth in that clean air.    I cannot wait to tell you about the other places we are going this coming cruise because we are heading as far north as we will go the entire contract!!

Until then I will let all these pictures do all the talking because I can’t do it justice.  

View of Oslo, Norway

Houses with grass roofs in Oslo

Gloves I got in Stavanger...I needed them!

Ulvik, Norway
As far as ship life goes, besides the internet, everything is fine.  I am finding my routine and also getting to know a lot of people very well.  I officially feel part of the crowd now and I like that. The food is starting to get old though.  O well, can’t have it all I guess:)
Ulvik, Norway

Ulvik, Norway

Church in Ulvik, Norway

Church in Ulvik, Norway

Traditional clothing- Ulvik, Norway

I just loved this persons view- Ulvik, Norway

Ulvik, Norway

One of the many fish markets in Bergen, Norway

Caviar- Bergen, Norway

Geiranger, Norway

Geiranger, Norway


Where we started our bike ride in Geiranger...brrrrr

Wow....Geiranger, Norway

Geiranger, Norway

Geiranger, Norway

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's definitely not something I could handle (I'm too much of a homebody), but I LOVE love love reading about your travels and seeing all the amazing places you are getting to experience. Just amazing! Part of me is super jealous! Keep enjoying every moment and keep those blog posts coming! :)

- Robin Wahlquist

Xavier T said...

Wow! Looks amazing! I didn't know Norway had such a wildness to it. Glad to see you're having fun!

Jarmila said...

Great photos!We are glad you are having a good time. What an adventure.Love you.