Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bermuda and Easter on the Atlantic


HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!        

While there are the occasional hidden eggs around today I am missing family a lot today.  There is a church service at 11pm tonight that I will be going to but other than that my Easter will be a usual day at sea.  However, I did treat myself to a wonderful massage today.  One of the perks that I get is that we get salon services at 50% off!!!  OK!!  I am going to take advantage of that while I can.
As far as the trek across the Atlantic, is it going well and we got out of the Bermuda Triangle without further strangeness.  Last night we went over the Titanic at 2am.  Luckily, there are no icebergs.  However, waking up this morning there was such a thick fog out that you couldn't really even see the ocean.  I don't know how the captain knows where he was going but I only assume they have devices for stuff like that.  Listening to the fog horn is persistant too...every two minutes.  I don't even hear it anymore!

We did have a stop in Bermuda last Thursday the 5th, which was our ONLY stop before we touch the banks of France on the 13th.  Bermuda was an interesting place because the island itself really is not large and honestly there wasn’t much besides and old British naval base, fish and chips, and the no longer thriving produce of the Bermuda onion. Don’t get me wrong seeing this place was pretty cool.  I was by myself until I ran into one of the First Officers of the ship, Sven, in front of the National Museum of Bermuda which was is the maritime museum on the Island.  I am glad it was free for crew because it really was an outdoor sprawled-out collection of old cannons and anchors.  To be honest, I really have no knowledge about any sort of this stuff and there were no plaques to read to learn about things, but the free way you could just walk around and end up at the edge of the island of Bermuda was quite freeing.  For the first time on this trip I didn’t feel like I was in the middle of a tourist area, even though I was, but someone walking through a naval base almost trapped in the time when the British had taken over the island and all there was to do was eat fish and chips or be behind a canon.  There were also tunnels that Sven and I found on a whim when we turned a corner and went through this large iron gate (don’t know if we were supposed to be there are not but like I said…no signs).  We went for it and decided we needed to explore these hidden tunnels that were kind of eerie, damp, and creepy but I couldn’t help it.  When in Bermuda, right?! 

On another note, I am now teaching English to the Philippine and Indonesian work force on the ship.  I had my first class last night and I was a little terrified when 17 people voluntarily showed up to take the class.  To take the class they have to know some English but we are starting pretty basic with adjectives, adverbs, nouns and grammar subjects like that.  The next class I am hoping to play some learning games because this group really knows how to have fun!!  I feel like I was laughing more than I was teaching the class.  They would crack jokes and one of them said the only reason he is taking the class was because he "had a girlfriend in the Caribbean and he wanted to write her emails"…I almost died.

On that note, 5 days to St. Malo, France.  I can’t wait.

The first thing I see when I got off the boat in Bermuda...thought it was interesting:)

Had to take a picture of these pastries.  The yellow cake is a Bermuda Black Rum Cake.  Yum.


The Frog and Onion was one of the many British pubs in Bermuda

Lots of anchors that were in the Museum


The edge of the island

The same edge from a different angle
The perfect pic-nic spot?

Sven going into the mysterious tunnel first


A room we found in the tunnel...pretty cool.

Me looking out one of the "windows."

Man making it work in Bermuda

No comments: