Friday, April 13, 2012

Bonjour to Dry Land!! St. Malo and Mont St. Michelle, France


I am on the bus starting an hour drive back to St. Malo from the wonderful town of Mont St. Michelle.  The sky is dark with the pummeling of rain on the widows, and still reeling from the breathtaking castle and town that surrounds it.  This is a place that makes you feel like a speck in history and this is something that everyone should experience. The castle itself (actually and old abbey) was everything you would imagine a castle to look and feel like and could have been the scene of any knights of the round table story.  Before you got to the actual entrance of the castle you had to go through the quaint medieval town that surrounded this abbey.  There had to have been at least 3,000 people there are we were all crammed into a single alley (the main street) that was no more than 5 ft wide at the largest part.  Creperies, restaurants, souvenirs, paintings, and postcards lined the street as you made your way up to the abbey. Of course, I had to stop for a chocolate crepe and espresso (for those who don't know I gave up coffee but does it count if your in France?:)) the crepe brought back memories of my trip to France in 2008. Finally getting to the entrance of the castle was just beautiful. Entering the main cathedral was a reverent moment for me. I felt like I was connected to something a lot bigger than myself walking into a place so old and so special to many. There was also a copy of the Shroud of Turin there an seeing the image within it sent chills down my spine. Once I saw it I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Throughout the entire tour I was just amazed at the scale and beauty of the entire town. I took so many pictures that my camera ran out of battery but i tried to put as many as I could up on here.

Let me tell you, after 13 days at sea (and seeing land for 2 hrs during that entire time) seeing this place was rather special and very welcomed.

Tonight, my English class was cancelled due to all of my students being in a crew show for the guests.  However, there is a wine tasting:) What can finish off a perfectly French day better than that?
View from the tender boat of St. Malo

Add caption

St. Malo, France



View from the highway to Mont St. Michelle


Another view from the highway to St. Michelle...gorgeous

My first sight of Mont St. Michelle



The tasty pastries you can get in France....so delicious.

The main walk way of the city...very small!



the cathedral of Mont St. Michelle

A nun praying there.

Click on this pic and see if you can see the image...a replica of the Shroud of Turin

The Abbey Gardins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gahhhhh love seeing your pictures and video! duh. and ps...babe..you just need to get over it....

you drink coffee sometimes.


i love you.