Saturday, April 28, 2012

CODE RED: Noro Virus on the Ship

Last night the ship was officially put into "Code Red."  This happens when a certain percentage of the ship gets symptoms of the Noro Virus and is put in quarantine (it's a very intense virus that causes stomach flu like symptoms where you expel from both ends for three days and supposedly you think you are dying... or you want to die). Either way this virus has gotten to that level on our small ship and that means for all of us crew we have to go around the entire ship (we are all assigned areas to tackle) to do a procedure of super sanitizing every touchable space and surface with the chemical Virox, or super-saning for short.  For the past five nights I have been woken up by the sound of what only can be related to a leaf blower equipped crew worker spraying a chemical into our hallway that supposedly kills all the airborn germs in the air.  I am not sure what is worse, the virus itself or the fact that I am probably losing a year off the end of my life with all of these chemicals.  I might get to the point where I have to start serving drinks in the Lido Cafe (which is the main dining area for the ship) because all self service has been suspended, long red ropes have been put up and no quest is allowed within 3 ft of the food.  Sadly, there isn't enough staff to serve all the guests at one time when this happens so I may be up there slinging some food.  In the same way, crew is also no longer allowed to dine with guests in fear of us contracting this virus.

I'm not going to lie, this is a rather strange place to be in and I can only relate to this as feeling like a character in one of those zombie movies where if I contract this virus I am quarantined complete with creepy facemasked crew and everything.

Tonight at 11pm will be my first supersan duty and seeing as we will stay in code red until there are no more cases recorded in the infirmary it could be a month or longer of this craziness....oh boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's crazy! Load up on the hand sanitizer. Hope it goes away quickly and you can return to a more normal existence. Maybe start wearing those swine flu masks...