Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Some Strange Coincidences in the Bermuda Triangle


Well today is the fourth day at sea and I am starting to feel like this is going to be the hardest part of my journey.  The problem is that I am starting to run out of things to do.  Yes I have shows but since this is a 15 day cruise our shows are spaced out with many days in between.  My first show of this cruise is tomorrow and then my next one after that is in five days!!!  It will be great when I am at a port but it is just ocean and more ocean for me right now and in a way the ship can be compared to a floating fish bowl because there are only so many times I can swim around the tank.  The other thing is that the internet is very spotty right now because, dare I say, I am in the dead center of the Bermuda triangle.
In one way I am getting very creative in trying to fill my time.  Last night I ended up taking the game “Connect Four” that I had left in my room for me to the officers bar (and in case I haven’t told you yet this is the place where only officer stature crew can go and drink without guests present on the crew deck…it can be a fun place) so I went to the officer bar and ended up playing connect four with a mechanic named Mark.  I walked in and he was holding an empty bottle of Jack Daniels like a baby (most of which I am certain he drank) and I asked him what the occasion was and it turned out that he had just had his first baby girl delivered back at home only a few hours prior to that.  Needless to say, I let him win.
After exhausting my want to play board games I got to talking to CJ (she is a veteran of the ship….this is her 6th year and knows almost everything about it)  She filled me in on some pretty eerie coincidences that are going to be happening in the next couple weeks. 
You know the Titanic, right? Turns out this April 15th will be the 100th anniversary of her sinking into the Atlantic.  It also turns out that we will be directly over the Titanic exactly a week before that date.  The other strange coincidence is that we will be stopping in Cherbourg, France two days before she stopped there only to hit an ice burg and sink.  Not only that but the SS California was the ship that tried to warn the Titanic of the ice burg and it ended up sinking right off the coast of Bermuda a few years after that.  This also happens to be the place we are going to right now.  Wow, usually all this kind of stuff wouldn’t even phase me but there has been a legitimate fire alarm in the engine room and a complete blackout in the last week.  Pretty eerie for me.  And to top it off the boat has been rocking so much things are falling off of shelves.    
Now I know I am making is sounds rather bleak.  But the truth is the ship is fine, (its ok mom:)), I could also have a degree in ship evacuation with all the training I have received, and so far I have been mostly sea sickness free which is something I can’t say about the rest of my cast.  All I know is that if bright unexplainable lights start coming from the sky or the ship starts traveling into another time I will just get a grip and hold on.
But right now being in the center of the Bermuda Triangle is thankfully uneventful.:)

1 comment:

Redlats said...

It is fun to read your blog. We were on the Ryndam in March for two weeks just before they changed performers, so unfortunately we never got to hear you, but we did quite enjoy those we did hear.

I hope the rest of your passage across the Atlantic goes better and seasickness doesn't strike.